Sunday, August 28, 2011

Love the Neighbours!

Have I told you how much I love our neighbours? We live close to two amazing families who are currently observing Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting. Our neighbours prepare lovely food for their own evening meal, but also share it with us! Observe all the food that arrived from the two families this evening:
 
  
Upper right in the plastic bag is my favourite, chilli chicken, mmm. The other plastic bag contains Jalebi, an Asian sweet that is basically batter, deep fried, then soaked in sugar syrup. This photo may also explain recent weight gain in the Fawssett household, as well as why my freezer is about to explode and shower the neighbourhood with pakoras and samosas.

I've been contemplating lately the strangeness of learning to be a better Christian from someone of another faith. Our neighbours are amazing examples of Jesus' command to 'love your neighbour as yourself'; not only do they give food, they also trust us with their children and invite us into their homes for family celebrations. Being immersed in another culture can teach us things that we love about our own (check-out people packing my groceries for me! Aaah, Australia!) and things we would like to adopt. I would love to adopt the attitude of love and caring that our neighbours have shown to us, and take better care of my own neighbours (near or far) from now on.

Has your family adopted any new traditions lately? Love to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment