Friday, August 26, 2011

Still Waters

A friend invited me to see the movie 'One Day' with her this evening. It was lovely to get out of the house, away from my 3 darlings (kids & their daddy!). I don't do that often enough. Rosie my 4yo knows I sometimes need space, and is quickly learning to use this to her advantage; today she suggested she and her brother watch some television, "so mummy can get some quiet time."    !
As I was about to head to bed, I glanced at the Psalm for today on my homepage; it is the famous Psalm 23 -

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul.

This psalm is so precious to me; - meditating on it strengthened me for the birth of our little Sam a year ago, and during the short but harrowing period of postnatal depression which followed. I remember times where I had no strength to do anything except listen to a reading of this psalm, head in hands, despairing.
But the Word of God is living and active - sharper than a double-edged sword. And he did cut through despair and pain to lead me beside still waters of peace, and restore my soul.

Jesus used to take time away from the crowds to talk with his Father. It left him refreshed to do his ministry, and strengthened and nurtured for the path ahead. 'Still waters' are important for all of us - we all need refreshing and renewing to be able to do our jobs well, whatever they are. I'd like to hear how other parents take time out from the daily scramble; what are 'still waters' for you, and how do you get to them?



No comments:

Post a Comment