Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Toddler Reminiscing

My beautiful Mother-In-law is always pestering reminding me to remember my children by writing things down; from those funny sayings to medical details. Well currently Naomi at Seven Cherubs is running a Cherish your Cherubs project to help us appreciate and adore our children a little more, and as a way to record and remember them in our lives. This week's task is to remember. So here, off the top of my head, are some of my enduring memories of...

Sam
he's just 14 months old but we've had some good moments:

The 6 hour labour was pretty brilliant!

Sam was a cuddler and snuggler right from the start.

Sam and I squinting at each other under half-closed eyelids ... me because I'm trying to use peer pressure to get him to go to sleep and Sam because he knows the minute he drops off mummy will sneak out of the room .... 

Me (picking up a wailing Sam from his cot) - "It's sleep time. Go to sleep." Sam (shakes head) - "Nu." Me (indicating cot) - "Bed." Sam (points at books) - "Gook." Love him to bits.

Sam coming gleefully in for a cuddle with Mummy - "Daaadeeeee." Nice.

Rosie 

Rosie's birth took 73 hours of contractions. (enduring!)

She was so serious - she took 6 months to decide to smile. 

At 2, play-cooking "Soup pie with honey, blackberries and anything." 

Rosie loves animals - I remember how gentle she was with our Staffordshire terrier Bess. When we moved to our first home in England we spotted through the kitchen window two fat rats playing in the back yard. (shudder). She wanted to know "can we give those dirty rats a bath mummy, so I can play with them?"

Her first word was "duck", because we fed the ducks at the park down the street together almost every day. We adopted her words for fingers (dingers) and dummy (dee-dee) into our family vocabulary. She also said efelent (elephant) for a long time.

Rosie, collapsing into tears at me giving Sam medicine - "No mummy, his mouth won't smell of babyness any more! I want him to smell of babyness!"

Other Rosie quotes:  
"Rosie a wake up soon, play a helicopter." (2 years old, on going to bed.)

After looking at baby pictures; "Mummy, I love me when I were a baby."

Almost 3: "You need to be the doctor mummy because a Giant came into my room and killed me."

When asked what sports she will play: "Um, ... skipping ... hopping .... maybe ... helping people when they're sad and hurt their head?"

"Mum, I have two emos on my shirt!" (Clownfish - Nemos, age 3) 

"I love my pony knickers cause they show I'm a 'stralian girl, cause I don't loose my balance on the grass. We don't got no grass, but the neighbours do." (age 3) 

"Naani, Daddy's a sick dog!" (3, after hearing me say sick AS a...) 

Mummy: (groaning)- "I feel siiick. I need a cuddle." Rosie, 3½- "I don't need a cuddle now. I'm working."

R3½- Mummy, why are you looking in that book? 
M- I want to find out how to make French Toast for your lunch.
R- You put some eggs in a big bowl, and soak the bread, and then put some butter in the pan and cook the bread. 
Apparently it's on a Playschool episode. 

4 comments:

  1. Yesterday Rosie told me she was coughing at school. Very dramatically and cross; "It was bubbling up my work!" (big sigh) "I was SO distressed." (big sigh) "It was NOT fun."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam has a few cute sayings at the moment. Of course, being nearly two, his favourite word is most definitely "no". But some others are -

    Eeshaa - Pushchair
    Piar - The Hungry Caterpillar
    Uggie - Snuggie, his blanket
    Num-nums - Breakfast

    A few months ago, after being presented with his breakfast, Sam demanded "Yogod".
    "Yoghurt? We don't have any yoghurt."
    "Yo God."
    "Oh, you want to say thank you God?"
    "es."

    Thank you God for little children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At just-3 Sam can be a terror and a troll and a delight. It's hard to get him to eat anything classified as a vegetable unless he can be persuaded that Batman or Spiderman would wolf it down. Today after a week of successful toilet training he's fascinated with where wees go after the toilet. Joy. He has a gorgeous superhero pose-with-frown and knows all the characters of Thomas the Tank Engine. His favourite 'thing of the day' in our bedtime chat routine is always 'Thomas Land' (no we do not go there every day).

    Rosie is a serious little girl who regards friendships as more important than mere interruptions like meals. A playdate is cause for great celebration, the neighbour's kids visit almost daily, and a friend leaving calls for tears. I love her sensitive heart and social nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, a few more Sam-isms this week! (aged just 3) -
    We talked about the lost sheep and how God is like the shepherd, looking for us, his sheep. He looks and looks until he finds us, "and then gives us a bath!" (apparently). But said in a classic Brummie accent so it's a "borth"!

    When told "Lets have a snooze" and bedtime recently, his incensed reply was "No, lets NOT have a snooze - I'm scratching my knee!"

    Tonight, sharing grace in his beautiful 3-year old way, he remembered our wonderful 23yr old lodger Katie, who very sadly passed away a few weeks ago, with -
    "Dear God, thank you for this lovely food and for Katie singin' with the angels and seein' God. Amen."

    ReplyDelete